Things to do or see
there are pleasant local walks
there are walks along disused railways or alongside the large River Mayenne
there are 4 adult and 2 childrens cycles at LHG for your use
25 min travel to La Mazure where you can hire pedaloes, canoes or mountain bikes
in the summer there is usually a maze set up in a maize field which is surprisingly great fun!
Chateaux with amazing architecture and grounds
the Wednesday morning market in St Hilaire du Harcouet is brilliant fun
the Saturday morning markets at Laval and Fougeres are great for fresh produce etc
the swimming lake is 20 mins travel into the Foret du Fougeres and is free!
the stars at night free from light polution are quite stunning
St Malo is 1.25 hours travel and has an aquarium, beautiful beach, excellent chic shops, museums, and a most beautiful old walled town full of restaurants
Dinard is 1.3 hours travel and is a small holiday resort on the sea with great walks by the sea, nice bars and restaurants. It is 15 mins from St Malo
· Barrage du Vezins – beautiful reservoir, kids activity playground (free). La Mazure is (40 mins) a sports/activity centre next to the lake where you can hire pedaloes (approx a fiver for ½ hour), canoes, and mountain bikes.
· Mortain – waterfalls, woodland walk, abbey (free)…35 mins drive
· Pont de Biarde – lovely views of the reservoir from this bridge. (30 mins)
· Le Mont St Michel – village and abbey on a rocky island. Busy but very special. Stacked in history. Steep climb up narrow streets. Magnificent church/abbey. Parking fee. About 1.25 hours drive but well worth it.
· Jardin de Plantes – Avranches – views over the estuary and Le Mont St Michel in the distance. Music at night from discreet speakers.
· Bagnoles sur L’Orne – very stylish spa town with beautiful gardens and casino. (1 hours drive)
· Laval – old town is very beautiful next to River Mayenne (50 mins). Excellent Saturday am market..roads closed for ease.
· Villedieu les Poeles – copper working exhibition, church bells, fascinating (45 mins)
· Domfront – medieval town with views (30 mins)
· Vitre – olde worlde town centre with a castle (1 hour)
· Fougeres – medieval castle ..brilliant..an absolute must (40 mins)
· Mayenne – old town, gardens round chateau, beautiful waterfront by River Mayenne (50 mins)
· St. Fraimbault – village fleuri….stunning display of flowers, lake, café, boats, mini-golf (35 mins)
· Lassey les Chateaux – medieval chateau and buildings (45 mins)
· St Malo – aquarium, beaches, old walled town, restaurants, shops, and the coast is fantastic to the east going to Cancale where there are oyster beds.
Now seriously, the evening sky can be absolutely stunning due to the absence of light pollution. Take time over a glass of wine or a coffee to sit back and observe. The longer you look the more you will see!
Le Mont St. Michel video - it's less than a 1 hour ride to the most visited and truly spectacular tourist site in all of France.